Alright people. Raise your hand if you think Beyonce legitimately runs this mother. (Both of my hands are raised.) Many of us have dreams of running our own versions of this mother, including me. Some of you reading this already do. Way to go. You deserved it. But to those of us who aren’t quite there yet, read on. Here are my takeaways for those of us who have ambition, passion, and dreams but haven’t quite reached that place yet.
- Be patient. You can’t always dictate when opportunities arise. Sometimes they take what seems like forever. Sometimes they fall into your lap without any clue. Just be patient and be the best you can be in the present.
- Maintain your integrity. Bad days at work happen. Something didn’t go the way you planned, you made a mistake, someone at work snapped at you. It happens. But when you walk out of those office doors, what you do have control over is keeping your integrity. Keeping a tight grip on your moral uprightness is what will keep your conscience clean and keep you focused on the bigger picture.
- Allow yourself to be managed but don’t allow yourself to walked all over. There is a strong difference between being managed well and being controlled. Know that difference. But do allow yourself to be managed and hyper-analyze the ways you are being managed. Figure out what works for you and doesn’t work for you so that a) you get your work done efficiently in your current role and b) so you can be an effective manager one day. If it starts going down the wrong path, do something about it. Professionally.
- Always check yourself. Constantly be checking in with yourself to make sure you are going down the path you want for yourself. Keep the bigger picture in mind, for example, your career goals. If your current job is not at all aligned with your career goals, do something about it.
- Be kind. It’s a little sad that I have to type this but from my experiences, being kind will take you farther quicker. I hate getting all preachy and “Golden Rule” but the fact of the matter is, it’s a pretty universal and standard way of living. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Period.
- Network your ass off. I mentioned this in a previous post (since May ’13, here are my 10 takeaways) but it’s especially true if you aren’t where you want to be, yet. Make relationships but more importantly, maintain them. Also crucial to remember: don’t be fake. People will be able to read when you’re being insincere.
Anyone else want to chime in on this topic?